Windows Outlook Express

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
rovingcowboy

Windows Outlook Express

Post by rovingcowboy »

ok how do i move the address book, and the block list and the rules list from the old win98 or winMe computer to this new winXp when the computers are not connected by a nic. any one know what files need to be moved and where in the heck they go in this winxp that has different folders then the win98 computers? :banghead:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:89, old post ID:314
roving cowboy/ keith
Tom_C

Windows Outlook Express

Post by Tom_C »

This might help
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;q188854
I have XP Pro
If I call up OE and go to "Address" Button and then "File" Tab
Click on Export and it will put a file named "address.WAB" in documents
That I guess is the file you need to save and then go to
import and browse to that file to restore it.
not sure about Block List ad Rules list
not all that sure maybe someone else can add more

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:89, old post ID:316
Red Squirrel

Windows Outlook Express

Post by Red Squirrel »

I heard you can copy the "application data" folder in the windows directory, but I tried it once and it did not work, but it's worth a try + something else, in case it does not work.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:89, old post ID:318
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
jryan

Windows Outlook Express

Post by jryan »

Hi Roving,

For the e-mails, you're going to want to go into C:WindowsApplication DataIdentities (whatever entry is there)MicrosoftOutlook Express and copy the .dbx files from there. Those are your folders, and you'll need them later on. They have all your messages.

You may also want to export your account settings, unless you have already set them up on Windows XP. If you have already set up the accounts through Outlook Express, then the only other thing to do is to place the same folders in the same basic path, substituting C:Windows for your Windows Dir (most likely C:Winnt)

I'm not too sure on how to export the Rules and blocked senders list, though. It's never come up in any instances that I've had to deal with.

For the Address Book, you follow the same concept as the messages, you go to C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book and copy the .wab file. When you move that to XP, you open Address Book and click File -> Import and then the filename of the old address book.

Hope it helps,

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:89, old post ID:338