BODs

This is where you can make suggestions or report bugs that you've found
Ixxie

BODs

Post by Ixxie »

Am i just completely inept, or are these broken?

Was pretty sure it was as easy as having 0.1 in a skill, and clicking an NPC. That doesn't seem to be the case?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34768
Red Squirrel

BODs

Post by Red Squirrel »

They are more like quests. Did you click on talk?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34769
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Incriminate

BODs

Post by Incriminate »

The Crafter NPC's give you a quest asking for a material, say 275 cut leather, drop it on the NPC. Then you get a quest asking you to craft something. You MUST have less than an 85% chance of making an exceptional item. Make anything using the material you were asked to provide, so in this case "cut leather". Make sure you take your talisman off!!

When the bag in your backpack turns blue, drop this onto the NPC and you get your reward. You can get PS's, Runics, Gold, Rares, Arties and BOD's. The BoD's then work just as normal, same as OSI, complete them and get something for it.... although I think the rewards even for BoD's are better than OSI, so don't throw away the ones you'd normally consider to be junk.

:D

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34770
Nexus Graveheart

BODs

Post by Nexus Graveheart »

The two systems run concurrently...although one must be completed before the other can even be attempted. I think it would be nice if there was the possibility for a player to choose between simply accepting a BOD or doing the resource quest for a reward.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34771
Death

BODs

Post by Death »

Nexus Graveheart wrote:The two systems run concurrently...although one must be completed before the other can even be attempted. I think it would be nice if there was the possibility for a player to choose between simply accepting a BOD or doing the resource quest for a reward.
Both will likely be made separate in the future as BOD deeds are a solid system with a few flaws that can easily be worked around (Such as knowing what reward to expect and increasing the odds of getting better bulk orders).

As for the custom crafting quest, it will likely be ported over to a quest NPC similar to the heartwood crafter quests as the system is more capable of handling resources and craftables. So it will be changed into an npc using the new quest system.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34773
Anonymous

BODs

Post by Anonymous »

Not meaning to be rude but at the moment the entire system needs re-working. I am waiting until changes are made to do any crafting quests.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34783
Death

BODs

Post by Death »

Drucilia wrote:Not meaning to be rude but at the moment the entire system needs re-working. I am waiting until changes are made to do any crafting quests.
Not rude, I completely agree with you. The system had a good concept but a lot of room for improvement. My main concern is the rewards vs the materials and the chance of accidental drag/drop of the bag at the end.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34784
Anonymous

BODs

Post by Anonymous »

yeah. I had a cry about materials and material amounts verses rewards and chances for higher level quests.

The quest timer serves absolutely no purpose but to be an annoyance. As if the quest hasnt already taken long enough.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34785
Red Squirrel

BODs

Post by Red Squirrel »

The whole system was a concept that I wanted to eventually improve on and just never really got around to it. The reward algorithm is not broken, it may just need to be tweaked. Part of the issue is the lack of reward types. We can throw decorative stuff all we want, or items that you only need once, but then those items are all crap after you've accumulated a bunch of them. The randomization algorithm uses a lot of overlapping to randomize and not always drop the same items over and over again but there is a skew process based on the difficulty.

You can get a really crappy item with a high end quest, but you have better chances to have a good item. The opposite is true as well, a low end quest can yield a good item. Though these overlaps don't extend all the way. To put it in perspective, say you have 10 difficulty scales and each one has a reward group assigned. If you get a quest on scale 5, you have good odds of getting a reward in group 5, and you have slightly less odds of getting a reward from 4 and 6 but since 6 is a better reward then those chances are slightly skewed even more. You have a very slight chance to get category 7 and slightly better chance in group 5. Eventually the odds fade away to 0%.

That's the jist of how the system works, but it's not really predefined categories. I do admit, it may require more testing and tweaking and once we think of more reward types and add them, we can retweak the numbers.

I'd also like to make the quests more interesting and random so it's not always the same process.

I don't want to put the old bod system back without requiring extra steps, as it encourages botting and mass scripting. The only way to win with that system is to have about 100 accounts with 7 chars each and have scripts to pickup bods every hour on each one and do this 24/7. Also, the code behind that system is extremely brutal and hard to support. It was only really kept as is for historic reasons, there are no plans to modify it.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34786
Nexus Graveheart

BODs

Post by Nexus Graveheart »

Here is my documentation from some testing I did a while back on the AoV system. I got the intensities from a post Red made a long time ago. Also, I did not test rare gem or dragon scale orders, which have the highest reward intensities (Valorite level and above).

There are numerous intensities in between these standard ones...but I wasn't about to test every single one.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CLjB6ogD

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34789
Anonymous

BODs

Post by Anonymous »

ahhhhh yeah the entire thing isnt working. I burned tens of thousands of colored leather to find that out and countless rare gems.
lol turn in 8 star saphire and get 1 POF time after time lol.

Was thinking that the quests could reward you better but require wayyyyyyy larger amounts of materials to complete.
Chances for multiple rewards also like perhaps a HRSk + a CBD on larger quests
No reason why a quest shouldnt take you all day to collect the materials for.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34794
Red Squirrel

BODs

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually the tailoring ones are the hardest to code for due to lack of materials. There's only like 3 different kind of leathers, which makes it so even when you use the highest end reward, you still have a decent chance to get a reward from the lowest. I will need to tweak that more.

But the whole quest itself may possibly be changed, who knows. Have not decided yet.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34795
Incriminate

BODs

Post by Incriminate »

Leave tailoring just as it is, it's not broken. Look to OSI, it takes approximately 1 month to get one BRSK running them 24/7. An acquaintance used to run one account, 7 tailors per shard, and collect BoD's on 30 servers. Doing this got him 7 BRSK BoD's per day across all servers. So in effect they are quite a rarity.

30 * 7 * 24 = 5040

5040 / 7 = 720 <----- the number of BoD's you need to collect on one character to get a BRSK.

Now your not telling me that they don't drop more often than that on Valor.

So please stop with the QQ. You can realistically get one HRSK or BRSK per day on Valor with very little effort. The fact that you need to farm leather, well thats just tough luck I guess.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34796
Anonymous

BODs

Post by Anonymous »

I burnt about 60 - 70 thousand colored leather + god knows how much plain leather probably well over 100k of it. As well as filling and throwing back all my bods and sifting and sifting through quests. I got a 10 charge hrsk and similar spined kit. So think about that + quest timer. == large amount of time.

Compare farming leather - crafting items for bag, handing it in, Getting 1 BOD back most of the time. waiting for quest timer getting next quest.

OR go on OSI automated key stroke macro to log chars in and out and walk them around collecting their bods. Automatic scripting for filling BODs and then a script to hand them in and collect the next bod. Sounds like a lot of effort. Maybe 1 hour tops to start with making the chars and setting the macro's. then run it afk while you jerk off. Remember to give them a bod book for each type of BOD dont wanna strain yourself having to sort them.

Anyone with some idea here with a sugestion?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34798
Red Squirrel

BODs

Post by Red Squirrel »

Drucilia wrote: OR go on OSI automated key stroke macro to log chars in and out and walk them around collecting their bods. Automatic scripting for filling BODs and then a script to hand them in and collect the next bod. Sounds like a lot of effort. Maybe 1 hour tops to start with making the chars and setting the macro's. then run it afk while you jerk off. Remember to give them a bod book for each type of BOD dont wanna strain yourself having to sort them.?
And this is why we did not want to keep the old bod system. The system requires scripting with many accounts (against the rules) to succeed at.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34801
Death

BODs

Post by Death »

Pretty much there are several alternatives to prevent scripting and to make it so that it's not such a task to obtain. It's up to testing really to determine where the quests will be ported to (Probably heartwood crafting quests as they are very, very similar).

Bulk Order Deeds are a part of UO's history so removing them from the game is not really an option as there are several uses and benefits including trades, selling and having an idea of what you'll obtain (Tower of Roses). IMO, what I would personally like to do with them:

1) Remove the need to obtain the small bods to complete a large one. Most of the large bods aren't even worth doing compared to the rewards you'd get for the individual small ones. The whole idea there was pretty dumb. Therefore, large bods would work the same as small ones to fill up but with this change, large bods would increase in rarity.

2) Improve the BOD gump interface to SHOW the odds of what you will receive when you complete the BOD. Using a website to check the prizes you'll get is not really a solid option (It's my opinion that all information should be provided IN GAME first).

3) This option is iffy, but could have an algorithm that checks both the skill level you have and the amount of bods you turned in. The more/difficult bods you turn in would earn you more points. So a small bod would be worth a small amount of points while a larger one would be worth a larger amount of points. This algorithm would determine your odds of getting a large bod as opposed to a small bod. Not sure if this would reset upon getting a large bod or not it's up to a lot of thought.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34802
Anonymous

BODs

Post by Anonymous »

hmmmmm normal metal bods large and small could give points when handed in. Those points could add to a base chance for a random colored metal bod.
more points could be given for handing in colored metal bods. Ect ect

I dunno if thats what you just said. :D

displaying what you will get for them is an awsome idea though.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34807
Death

BODs

Post by Death »

Drucilia wrote:hmmmmm normal metal bods large and small could give points when handed in. Those points could add to a base chance for a random colored metal bod.
more points could be given for handing in colored metal bods. Ect ect

I dunno if thats what you just said. :D

displaying what you will get for them is an awsome idea though.
Yea that's essentially where I'm going with the BOD idea. Your skill and your accumulated reputation with the bod givers should reward you with a higher chance of getting better deeds as your reputation increases. At some point there would need to be some kind of reset though in order to obtain small bods again (Or give the player a choice).

The second idea of allowing the player to know what they will receive from the bod should pretty much be a given. There are many third party resources and applications which are legal and are overly used for the sole purpose of not having the medium in game (BOD reward sites, UOGuide/Stratics, UOAM, searchuo for vendors etc etc). This is all information that can be added in game, some easier than others so why not provide it and remove the dependence on other resources?

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:5596, old post ID:34808