Letterman

Controversial topics such as politics, religion, news that turns controversial etc
Bookworm

Letterman

Post by Bookworm »

Did anyone here see Letterman's confession. I hardly ever watch him anyway, so I wasn't tuned in when he confessed. I did hear some taped excerpts on the radio today, and I was pretty surprised at the audience's laughing reaction to some of his statements. It did seem Letterman was trying to put as comical a twist on it as he could.

I found an article about the situation here.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3939, old post ID:69004
manadren

Letterman

Post by manadren »

The thing about making a serious confession on a comedy show, is that sometimes people don't know where the joke ends.

I think that he probably did the best he could with the situation. Regardless of what you think about what he did, you have to give him some credit for admitting it publicly. Though he did put a bit of a comedic spin on bits of it, that did kind of soften the blow, and was good move to keep from killing that nights show. You watch a show like that to be entertained, not bummed out halfway through, so you could say it was out of respect for his audience that he kept it light.

I don't really want to speculate about the circumstances surrounding his infidelity, however, so I won't comment on the meat of the controversy.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3939, old post ID:69007
Stasi

Letterman

Post by Stasi »

Not sure that infidelity is the issue here since from what I read, it looks like this stuff took place before he got married. As to the ethics related to being the boss and having sex with underlings, well....

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3939, old post ID:69072
Bookworm

Letterman

Post by Bookworm »

Is "infidelity" a term only to be used when the cheating is done to a wife rather than a long-time girlfriend? He had been in a relationship with his wife long before they actually got married, and I saw on the cover of a magazine the other day that his wife was really upset. She may have suspected, though, and is only acting upset. Who knows?

The thin is, the intentions of the blackmailer were to make Letterman look like a cad if he didn't pay up, and to a large degree, those intentions have come to pass. I don't think anyone is saying that Letterman did anything illegal, but he does look like more of a cad than he did before.

And a lot of people do not mind if their entertainers are cads.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3939, old post ID:69074
Stasi

Letterman

Post by Stasi »

Yeah, if he was with her while sleeping around, he was being unfaithful. I don't remember reading anything that said one way or the other, though.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3939, old post ID:69079
manadren

Letterman

Post by manadren »

Stasi wrote: Not sure that infidelity is the issue here since from what I read, it looks like this stuff took place before he got married.  As to the ethics related to being the boss and having sex with underlings, well....
As bookworm stated, I was under the impression that this happened while his current wife was still his longtime girlfriend, so it still comes under the realm of infidelity. I was also using that statement as a blanket for the bosssubordinate aspects as well, but I suppose that really wasn't obvious. But the point being that, I'm not against relationships between bosssubordinate in principle. I mean it's not a good idea, and there are obvious implications, but if there is sufficient understanding between both people and is well enough removed from the workplace, I see no problem with it. Mind you if you are seeing someone else at the same time, that's a different issue. But to get to the point, I don't want to comment on the ethics of the bosssubordinate aspect as I don't know the specifics of the relationships between those people, and frankly I don't really want to know.

Still, I like what, I believe it was Craig Ferguson (I don't watch late night), said of his boss in this scandal. To paraphrase, do you really want your entertainers to be squeaky clean? Oftentimes it's an entertainer's indiscretions that feed their art, or otherwise come with the territory. Not to say this is a good thing, but I don't think we should be holding Letterman to the same standards we hold politicians. This is something he needs to work out with his wife and employees, not with the American public.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3939, old post ID:69100