Octuplets

Controversial topics such as politics, religion, news that turns controversial etc
Bookworm

Octuplets

Post by Bookworm »

Do you think there should be some regulations put in place by the government regarding how many embryos can be implanted at one time with in vitro fertilization?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68291
Cisco_Kid

Octuplets

Post by Cisco_Kid »

I must watch my tongue with this topic or stay out of it entirely; very few nice things to say about the irresponsible doctor that implanted all of those embryos, a woman that spent $100K of $165K paid for disability for the procedures, or the whole situation in general.
For plenty examples of angry/spiteful messages just read nearly any of the comment sections on the sites discussing this.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68294
Started talking to yourself I see.
Yes, it was the only way I could be sure of an intelligent conversation

Blackadder
manadren

Octuplets

Post by manadren »

Yeah it is kind of a tricky issue. On the one hand you can't really tell a woman that she can have only so many babies (outside of china anyway), but on the other there are ethical concerns regarding the children's well being, the impact on the community, and health concerns.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68295
Bookworm

Octuplets

Post by Bookworm »

As someone who believes that life begins at conception, I have never been too hyped on the process of in vitro fertilization anyway, since a large number of embryos are created that may never be used. I do think it's appropriate to have some sort of guidelines regarding the number of embryos implabted, but I'm not sure if it should be the government making those guidelines or some other organization.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68297
Stasi

Octuplets

Post by Stasi »

manadren wrote: Yeah it is kind of a tricky issue. On the one hand you can't really tell a woman that she can have only so many babies (outside of china anyway), but on the other there are ethical concerns regarding the children's well being, the impact on the community, and health concerns.
After seeing some of the interviews with her, and seeing that she, herself, uses the words "fixated" and "obsessed" with her desire to have a huge family, it seems pretty clear that she's got major emotional/psychological issues. While there's really nothing to stop her from going out and getting laid to make more babies (which probably wouldn't work given her fertility issues), I think the fertility doc should have rejected her approach to have her last remaining 6 embryos implanted.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68304
flowergirlajg

Octuplets

Post by flowergirlajg »

I agree. I think personally this woman needed someone to tell her 'no'. Also, I agree with the statement that says she has some serious psycological issues. She should probably be offered some prefessional help. However; it is extremely reckless to go off and take charge of eight embryos. I think she could potentially be fined for child endangerment.
Very unethical, really.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68427
[insert signature here ]
robonightmare

Octuplets

Post by robonightmare »

There are guidelines (voluntary, of course):
The "American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) voluntary guidelines suggest that, under normal circumstances, no more than two embryos be transferred to a woman younger than 35 because of the risk of complications"
[Scientific American, May 2009 issue, page 29]

What she did was reckless, as she was only 33 at the time that the embryos were emplaced.
Also, only six embryos were emplaced, and two split off to become twins unexpectedly. She is still crazy, but it was supposed to be 12 instead of 14 kids. The world may never know why some dimwit phycisian emplaced the embryos in her, as she is obviously incapable of supporting them. He needs to be stripped of his license, if you ask me.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3871, old post ID:68647
This message has been brought to you by the American Stupid Signature Association of America (ASSAA)