Universe creation theories

Controversial topics such as politics, religion, news that turns controversial etc
Chyse

Post by Chyse »

A lot of people believe "The Big Bang" is how the universe began. Others may say it's God. I say, why did it have to "begin?" Couldn't the universe have not began at all, but rather just been there since forever? The human mind can't possibly comprehend actual eternity, which is why i think we try to make up all these theories. What do you think? Does everything have to have a beginning and an end?

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:63816
"Your neighbor was kind enough to let us rip him off and burn his furniture for no reason."-ATHF
"He said no, Err. With his foot." -ATHF
"Please, stop fueling my silent rage." -ATHF
scherzo

Post by scherzo »

an object in motion tends to stay in motion an object at rest tends to stay at rest,

i think it was newton who made this law, however it is the basis of the bing bang as the universe is 'expanding'

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:63818
Lamez

Post by Lamez »

I pretty sure that I created the universe, lol not, it was God!

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:63824

Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Actually it was contractors who did it, God outsourced it all. :lol:

What if this world is actually hosted on a server, we all live in a virtual world. God is the Admin who coded everything.

The people managing that data center also live in their own virtual world.

duh duh duh.

Would make a cool movie. :P

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:63825
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
Chyse

Post by Chyse »

Lol, but if we turn away from him, does he give out our IP address? :lol:

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:63827
"Your neighbor was kind enough to let us rip him off and burn his furniture for no reason."-ATHF
"He said no, Err. With his foot." -ATHF
"Please, stop fueling my silent rage." -ATHF
Hermy11

Post by Hermy11 »

I'm one for creationism. The "Big Bang" theory is way more unbelievable than a supreme being.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64194
Stasi

Post by Stasi »

Difficulty comprehending something doesn't disprove it.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64232
manadren

Post by manadren »

Ah the argument from personal incredulity.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64246
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

goalguarder12 wrote: A lot of people believe "The Big Bang" is how the universe began. Others may say it's God.
And. . .God couldn't have created the universe by means of a "big bang?"

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64247
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

In the beginning, God -BANG! CRRRCCCHCHCSHHH! Rocks [their source unkown] crumbled and flew in all direction, then god said, "WTFBBQ?". He saw that it was good, then on the second day...

Nope, just does not sound right. :lol:

BTW, whichever side your on, watch this if you get the chance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnO6-RjLnxs (thats just the promo, but if you run into the full film, watch it)

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64250
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
manadren

Post by manadren »

Dawkins-Lennox "The God Delusion" Debate

I haven't watched it yet, but everything I've heard about it leads me to believe that's it wasn't much of a debate. Dawkins would explain a position, Lennox would attack it, with no opportunity for Dawkins to rebut.

I'll comment again once I've actually watched it.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64257
Stasi

Post by Stasi »

I've seen evolutionist-creationist debates before and they pretty much go the same way each time. However, I have seen some presentations by 7th Day Adventists about Creationism and making the scientific argument that the earth isn't as old as evolutionists say it is. Interesting stuff, though honestly I haven't done my own independent research into their evidence and arguments.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64261
manadren

Post by manadren »

evolution and creation do come up in the debate, but it's really more about the question of god's existence. (both sides of the debate actively believe in evolution).

I have to say, that after listening to it (despite the fact that those are mov files at the link, it's an audio only radio broadcast of the debate.), it's pretty clear that the debate is put on by a Christian organization, with topics and quotes taken from Dawkins book by a Christian, and with a structure that really isn't in Dawkins favor. Dawkins' time speaking is almost always split between responding to Lennox's comments and moving on to the next topic. There was also, on the part of Lennox a bit of cherry picking particular quotes out of context, which incidentally is how creationism made it's way into the debate.

As to the structure, the idea was to pull what the organizers took as a major theme from the book, The God Delusion, accompanied with a few quotes from the book, at which point Dawkins would have 5 min to further explain the argument. Following this, Lennox would have 5 min to comment on and refute the argument. Then, they would move on to the next theme. Of course as Dawkins didn't have a chance to respond to Lennox in the format it, didn't really hold up for long. After moving on to the next topic, Dawkins inevitably ended up spending half of his 5 min responding to Lennox's previous comments, before moving on to the next topic. To which Lennox would respond, of course, which caused the structure of the debate to fall apart somewhat.

Strangely enough, Lennox puts up as his final proof of god's existence the resurrection of Christ, which I found supremely disappointing (as did Dawkins). After pulling out a few pretty decent arguments during the debate, he ends it by pulling this completely out of left field.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64275
flowergirlajg

Post by flowergirlajg »

Its the Lawyers who did it.
Although they didnt mean to.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:64312
[insert signature here ]
Cisco_Kid

Post by Cisco_Kid »

an excellent site - what I use for my Firefox homepage:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:65274
Started talking to yourself I see.
Yes, it was the only way I could be sure of an intelligent conversation

Blackadder
tessaract

Post by tessaract »

i believe that i will never know the truth behind our universe but if i were to guess i believe the universe is a spectrum from complete nothingness to completeness. But this spectrum never ends its like a repeating remainder that goes both ways. Its ever expanding and ever reducing just right to the point for balance. I dont believe there ever was a start to the universe and i dont think theres ever going to be an end unless there was a technology to destroy stars or somethin to throw off the balance and i dont even wanna try to start thinkin about that lol.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3478, old post ID:66203