new problem for me

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
rovingcowboy

new problem for me

Post by rovingcowboy »

just found the backup utility does not show any gui?
it takes about 10 minutes to show a little alert style notice that it is scanning for devices. and that is all it shows no matter how long i wait on it to do something?

so i tried to find the answer of how to run the backup utility and what it needs.
when i got to the computer management panel to check the removeable storage then clicked on that to see what it was set up like. the program locked up several restarts of it and doing the same thing i figured to check on another computer and see what is going on.

it seems i need more help on this. because i got to the event logs and checked
and the dcom gave me an error every time i tried to run backup utility. the windows error number it gave me was 98 so i got the numbers check program i got and found that error number 98 is simple message of

( Your Screwed ) Object stopped.

so what is wrong does anyone other then a microsoft programmer know?

i looked online in the ms fourms and can't find any answers i get the run around in a fourm where nobody has posted in for 8 years? so the replys are giving me trouble. :cry: i'm feeling like rodney dangerfield and don't get any respect.
:banghead:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5548, old post ID:40277
roving cowboy/ keith
richardj

new problem for me

Post by richardj »

Hi there, big fella! :P

How about uninstalling and reinstalling it?

If it's an external drive and after doing the above you get the same error, the drive is probably defective.

Or maybe a defective cable between the drive and the pc.

They are not communicating.....................:dosgonebad:

Also, if it's it's XP--you did get rid of Win '98, I hope---see if the RPC server is turned on under services.

DCOM

Short for Distributed Component Object Model, an extension of the Component Object Model (COM) that allows COM components to communicate across network boundaries.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5548, old post ID:40278
rovingcowboy

new problem for me

Post by rovingcowboy »

no it is not external i can't even get the program to open on this for somereason.

i don't know why it is looking for anything i did not even tell it to do anything other then open the program to set up a backup.

i have done the above dealing with the services and the computer management but i can't even get it to work after i even reinstalled the backup program from the install cd.?

must admit though found there was a lot of add ons from the cdrom that were not installed? so i put them in the system and some other issues seemed to be fixed by adding them in.
still this backup did not get fixed?

so just one more headache from this woderful invention called a time and paper saver.??? i waste more time fixing the dadgum thing and paper writing down the way to fix it if i need it again. so tell me how does it save time and paper?

:dosgonebad:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5548, old post ID:40279
roving cowboy/ keith
richardj

new problem for me

Post by richardj »

I would suggest that you totally uninstall and then reinstall the program.

Run a good registry cleaner and reboot after you uninstall it.:awesome:

Then reboot after you install it before you open the program.

Or it may give you the option to repair it if you uninstall it with the add&remove software............

By the way the saying is:

One backup is no backup.

You should have an external drive and a backup in the cloud............... B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5548, old post ID:40281
rovingcowboy

new problem for me

Post by rovingcowboy »

gave up on it.

got the free back up from easeus it is version 6 of it? not sure if it is new or old.
but they say it is the best free one and is compairable with ghost.

dug out my old wd mybook 1000 gb usb drive and set it up will use those for backups.

not sure why this is the only pc of mine with xp on that the backup from windows don't even start?

as for more then one back up i have the trouble of finding a current backup i got hundreds of dvd's and cdroms laying round with backups on them i just don't want to get anymore so was trying to use a progarm to do it and put it on a hard drive.

you can get too much of a good thing too don't ya know'ed it. :rolleyes:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5548, old post ID:40282
roving cowboy/ keith
rovingcowboy

new problem for me

Post by rovingcowboy »

:hopinride: :hopinride:

wow talk about fast

i got that teracopy program it is set up to run in realtime.
i got the karen's replicator and it is set up to copy files in high speed.

:yo:

but man i did'nt expect the speed i got from them set up like that.
puts a whole new meaning in firewire. shucks man usb 2 is almost as fast as a dsl line in copying files this way. :awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5548, old post ID:40291
roving cowboy/ keith