hard drive spin down

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
rovingcowboy

hard drive spin down

Post by rovingcowboy »

okay i've got windows xp pro sp3
the computer has 5 hd's
the ps is going weak on me again from running all those hd's.
i took files off 2 of them and now they are empty just sitting there, i want to have
just those two hd's spin down or stop until i use them again which will not be until i get a new power supply.

how can i do that with the ieee hd's, the power controller in control panel does not allow single drive shut down it only does it to all hd's.

this is my jukebox so i need 3 drives to run all the time as the songs fill up 3 hd's
and the player picks songs at random so spinning up and down will be worse on it then letting them run.

but the empty ones i don't think they need to spin full speed or spin at all.

so do you know of any program with single drive controls for each hd ? at least 5 drives and best of all prices as in free.

thanks B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5532, old post ID:40218
roving cowboy/ keith
richardj

hard drive spin down

Post by richardj »

You could probably disable them in the Bios,

but why don't you just pop open the case and unplug the power connector? :rolleyes:

:P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5532, old post ID:40219
rovingcowboy

hard drive spin down

Post by rovingcowboy »

because just unpluging them would make windows change the hd letter and that will mess up the hd's that are in line after the two i don't want to use now.

i'm thinking about trying to find money and switching to new sata dr style where i can use one huge hard drive that will save on the ps wear down.

my system can use either ieee or sata drive i just have to use one or the other not both. since it was ieee when i set it up i left it that way. the hd's are still good.
shame to waste money.

i just found out IE 9 is out but wont work on xp. because ms in their greed have changed api's that is needed and xp don't have those api's so they trying to get more $ from us that don't have work.

i've got 5 xp systems here to keep running thats costly enough and they want me to get them replaced with new systems why would i do something that stupid.

i've got these set up mostly all in perfect working order and they are not worn out yet. no need to toss them either. B)

i guess i will be using xp until 2200 ad. then i might change to win 7 or win 8.

:unsure:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5532, old post ID:40220
roving cowboy/ keith
Red Squirrel

hard drive spin down

Post by Red Squirrel »

personally I don't like spinning HDDs up and down all the time if I don't have to. If you can get away with it I would just leave them off till the new power supply comes in.

With 4 drives I also would recommend looking at raid setup.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5532, old post ID:40221
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
rovingcowboy

hard drive spin down

Post by rovingcowboy »

um? auto notice didn't work ?

oh well i'm here now so i got the message better late then never right?

i'm not sure when i'll get new ps. i've decided to leave it all off for now the juke box did a long run and deserves a rest spell now. no need in burning out any caps on this mb. so i'll suffer with out tunes for now. B)

i might end up :banghead: with out them but we'll just have to find out. :awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5532, old post ID:40222
roving cowboy/ keith