Possibly shutting down forum in near future

Announcements about the forum or services itself
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I have no immediate plans yet, but I do want to redo this site, and take advantage of the fact that it's still getting traffic.

However the forum has just died, and is nothing but a spammer magnet. When/if I redo this site, I will most likely take down the forum. I will probably leave it in as an archive, but everything will be marked as read only, and no new posts or changes will be done to it. The forum is also full of security issues, being so old, that I will most likely have to put it in it's own sandbox, or perhaps just transfer all the posts to a separate custom system. I don't want the information to be lost, as it may be helpful to anyone making a search, but I will most likely not keep it on this software.

There is the slight possibility I just upgrade the forum to newer software, apply some heavy duty anti spam system, and keep it running. It depends how the new site will do, if I suddenly start getting even more traffic, then I may keep it. Hard to tell at this point.

I just thought I would post that the possibility is in the air. I would hate to suddenly close it without any kind of notice.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5519, old post ID:40172
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
MikeDB

Post by MikeDB »

I would have to agree, the forums have completely died. Though I still lurk here once in a while to check up.

Though I'd hate to have no way to chat with those who still come. :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5519, old post ID:40173
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah it's sad this place has died so much. :/ It's a spam bot magnet now. If I turn registrations on, I get like 100 spam bots a day.

I'm not yet sure if I'll shut it down, I may leave it open for the existing members to post every now and then. It's not like it cost's me much to leave it running.

I may even redo the site at some point and try to promote it again. But we're kinda behind as far as tech sites go. We mostly just post other tech site news.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5519, old post ID:40177
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
MikeDB

Post by MikeDB »

I'd write up some photoshop articles but I don't know if that's very tech site oriented.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5519, old post ID:40178
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you do what ya got to do red.

i don't come around much but i don't go around to any site much anymore
since i've got hit with that "C H F " stuff the meds just make me tired mostly

i do check like mikedb does but as he found theres no new posts hardly.

its not your site, its just the whole web is not fun like it use to be, they are trying
to fence in all the stuff now more so then ever. it's also the guys with the big
systems downloading movies all the time, that blocks the little phone connection people from getting online as much and when they do get on their systems move like win 3.1 systems move.

my mom's got a phone line connection with a 4 core amd and she has trouble
because of the above and the fact there's only 3 servers for 4 countys where she lives, they seem to be taking them out? forcing people to go wireless,
then even with the wireless the more that use that the more those servers bog down. i've got wireless and at times i barely get double the dialup speed.

cant wait to get some money i'll go get one of those 12 or 16 core systems i've heard about. that should burn up the phone lines.

:awesome:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5519, old post ID:40189
roving cowboy/ keith