Stupid Windows

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
Red Squirrel

Stupid Windows

Post by Red Squirrel »

Had a power outage, did not realize my UPS stopped working (suspecting the battery, charging up two new ones now to confirm) so the computer just shut off.

Now Windows refuses to load properly, whether in normal mode or safe mode. It will partially load but right before Explorer kicks in, it just sits there doing nothing. If I try to bring up task manager so I can manually start explorer, it just locks up before it comes up.

All this because of an improper shut down, really?

It just so happens I have an old Ubuntu partition so I booted up, mounted both the windows and my data partitions, copying the entire C drive to the other in case there's any data I need that wont be in my regular backups and tomorrow I'll format. I guess I was due for one anyway. Been running this same install for a good 5 years.

I really need to get that UPS up and running... we get lot of power outages at this time of year.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5414, old post ID:39993
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
rovingcowboy

Stupid Windows

Post by rovingcowboy »

oh i just seen your fix of your outtage.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5414, old post ID:40064
roving cowboy/ keith
jryan

Stupid Windows

Post by jryan »

Hey Red, I'm surprised you're still running Windows. I'd figure you would have switched to a purely linux environment.

Then again, I'm running a multi platform environment myself. Although, having seen what's in store for Win8, my open source machine keeps looking more promising.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5414, old post ID:40183
MikeDB

Stupid Windows

Post by MikeDB »

:censored: windows, use doors.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5414, old post ID:40184
Red Squirrel

Stupid Windows

Post by Red Squirrel »

jryan wrote: Hey Red, I'm surprised you're still running Windows. I'd figure you would have switched to a purely linux environment.

Then again, I'm running a multi platform environment myself. Although, having seen what's in store for Win8, my open source machine keeps looking more promising.
Hey long time no see!

I only run windows because of a few apps tbh. I've been strongly thinking of upgrading to Linux and just running the few apps in a VM.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5414, old post ID:40185
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!