Disabled registrations

Announcements about the forum or services itself
Red Squirrel

Disabled registrations

Post by Red Squirrel »

Due to the high volume of retarded people that keep signing up retarded names just to waste space, (over 100 spammer accounts per day) I have decided to disable new user registration.

If you want to create an account simply contact me with username you want and I will manually create your account, from there you'll get a temp password which you can change.

My contact can be found on contact us page.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38876
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
onykage

Disabled registrations

Post by onykage »

I have a few ways to beat the spammers red. Ive had to do it on 3 other forums. I do have to say if you let it last long enough to geto to 100 new users per day, you let it go on a hell of alot longer then i did. It started anoying me when it was on a few per day.

1 way is to use a secret key generated by ajax and is passed to php for validation.
another is to use multiple captcha's. Yet another way is to use reverse email validation. You can also you any number of these tactics together to make it even harder for spammers.

The secret key is by far the easiest to implement, and is a 70% deterant to spamers. Reverse email registration is a 99% effective method, but it can be tedious and confusing for novice computer users.

Id be happy to do couple tuts explaining these security options. Just let me know.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38946
www.onykage.com | www.q3schools.com
If I shoot you in the face with a green thorn, would you spawn an attitude?
Red Squirrel

Disabled registrations

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah whenever I actually decide to start working on SBBS again I want to impliment killer anti-spam tactics.

The tripple capcha actually seems to work. Like show 2 that are the same and have user enter the one that is different. Lot of spammers seem to be confused by it. These people have very low IQ.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38947
onykage

Disabled registrations

Post by onykage »

the triple captcha is extremely hard to crack because the script cant read the pictures, and the md5 key it sees, it has a 33% chance of guessing it right. Add in that the keys change for every attempt which brings our percentage down to below 10% per attempt. Rather then write a logic function to decided the outcome, its easier to jsut hit someother guy who wasnt as smart.

i think im going to break from my normal routine and do a tut on cptchas and other antispam tactics.

more to come :banana:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38948
Red Squirrel

Disabled registrations

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah that would be good.

When I actually do get back to SBBS I want to make it so there are tons of capcha's and you can select which ones to enable. So as spammers start to figure them out you enable another, scramble them around etc.

An audio capcha could work well too, though that would be harder to do.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38949
onykage

Disabled registrations

Post by onykage »

im still workin on a tut. I discovered some class's that are GNU that have audio captcha's built in. So a little while longer. Meanwhile i got side tracked and rebuild my sig :D I got banned from another forum for my sig, "I was hacking their users." lol. I tried to explain, but they didnt want to listen. :banghead: don't you just love ignorant people? So, i decided to revamp my 2 year old sig and add some features. Oh, and remove the word "trace" :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38951
Red Squirrel

Disabled registrations

Post by Red Squirrel »

LOL thats funny. I had a sig like that at one point too. I was at a forum and got asked to remove it, funny part is it was a networking forum LOL.

And thats pretty cool how you made it like an ipconfig. :P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38952
onykage

Disabled registrations

Post by onykage »

red, your dynamic sig script is how i found iceteks in the first place =P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:5055, old post ID:38959