How (not) to join a guild...

Any guild related threads (such as recruiting), faction talk, and forum pvp goes here
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

Just want to give some friendly advice to the influx of new players, returning players, etc.

I've been seeing this a lot myself as GM of RUN, which afaik I know is the biggest/most prominent active guild right now, though we do not actually have very many members.

This may not apply to all guilds, but I know it applies to us, and would be true of most guilds who won't just let anyone in.

If you are looking for a guild, particularly a good one, try to be a player that the guild would invite without you asking.
Your skill as a player/attitude etc becomes more and more important the better the guild or even the more members they have.
If they have 30 kick ass members they may not need any more, even if you'd be a valued member if they only had 10 members.

If you pester the members to let you join, without indicating that you have anything to offer other than being annoying, you'll quickly find yourself ignored at best.

If you have weird/bad templates, crappy gear, etc and are asking to join a guild you're probably wasting their time and yours. If the only thing we can see about you is your suit is terrible, you've only given the impression that you cannot be self-sufficient and we'd have to spend our time gearing you or teaching you how to play.

If you can't make any sense when asking to join, you're not going to get anywhere.
It's bad enough when you keep asking. We're not going to want to listen to that all the time.

Not to say you're not an amazing UO player and an awesome person, maybe you are, but we don't know you, so if you aren't being vouched for by a current member you're going to have to show your prospective guild why they would want you. A UO guild is not a charity, don't get offended when we don't act like one.

That said, I think UO guilds are great and strongly recommend finding one that is right for you.
I've been in guilds large and small and have made some great friends that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6063, old post ID:36516
I didn't choose the Fel life, the Fel life chose me.
Nexus Graveheart

Post by Nexus Graveheart »

Very sound advice.

I always tried to find a guild soon after I began playing a shard, player-run or OSI. For me, it was always the best way to get a feel for the player-base and any shard-specific features, especially if the guild is made up of veterans of both she shard and the game itself.

Although, I don't think I joined a guild quickly here, just made friends through events. I was only ever in JLA and one before that that was just Reco Elgred and myself.

But, as I was saying, I agree.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6063, old post ID:36522
keltrick

Post by keltrick »

this applies to x-man
but sorry dude he doesn't read the forum

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6063, old post ID:36524
trust me, just chill
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

I'm not sure he reads, period.
But it's good advice for anyone I think, no need to single anyone out.

Even when I came here and joined... I forget the initials, I got on my feet before ever joining a guild. I was moderately geared and was scrolled a bit from soloing spawns and buying what else I needed. So when I joined a guild they were happy to help me out cuz I could take care of myself and the guild benefitted from having me. And when I joined VvV after that they knew I was worth having from seeing me around and talking to me etc. And that's also why RUN is mostly former VvV members and some new people.
I was in JLA also, not in the beginning, but later, but that's cuz we were allied with them at the time and it was basically only Plastic still around from JLA. But anyway... tangent.

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6063, old post ID:36525
keltrick

Post by keltrick »

you shouldn't have to ask if you can join a guild that when you look at there porch its worth more than everything you owned combined
you earn respect you don't beg for it

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6063, old post ID:36533
trust me, just chill
ggkthx

Post by ggkthx »

keltrick wrote:you shouldn't have to ask if you can join a guild that when you look at there porch its worth more than everything you owned combined
you earn respect you don't beg for it
Damn it, now I miss our porch(es). :cry:

Archived topic from AOV, old topic ID:6063, old post ID:39059