Which should be done first?

Controversial topics such as politics, religion, news that turns controversial etc
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Should a person read a book first and then watch the movie, or should a person watch the movie first and then read the book? I checked out the DVD of Pride and Prejudice from the library and watched it yesterday, and now I'd really like to read the book. There were some scenes where I could tell the characters were thinking things, and I figure the book might tell me what they were thinking. On the other hand, I read the book Anne of Green Gables first before checking out the movie, and while I did like the movie, I noticed where entire characters were missing. The same thing happened after I read To Kill a Mockingbird. I checked out the DVD and really noticed when scenes were changed or shortened to fit a two hour time frame. So personally, I like to watch the movie on DVD first and then read the book on which the movie is based.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:66127
Chris Vogel

Post by Chris Vogel »

Reading the book first gives you the benefit of imagining the characters solely within the author’s limitations.

The only time I actively try to watch the movie first is if I’m discussing books with wild names, e.g., the Dune series, and need a pronunciation guide.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:66128
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I find watching the movie first helps you understand the book more.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:66129
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
manadren

Post by manadren »

I say read the book first. Watching the movie tends to spoil the book for me more than reading the book spoils the movie. That and I may watch a movie based on a book I read just to see how they handled certain scenes, and some movies take the source material very lightly, which could really ruin expectations of a book.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:66130
Cisco_Kid

Post by Cisco_Kid »

my opinion is book then movies, you get a much better understanding of the author's intent rather then a quite possibly f**ked rendition that has beem dramatically altered due to budgetary reasons, time constraints, poor quality/inadequate effects, or whatever else.

A prime example is Starship Troopers. The movie is adequate for summer action fodder, but the book is far superior with intelligent bugs that actually talk and think, etc, etc.

The ever popular Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films are good examples as well. They make decent movies but are missing huge chunks that are some of my favourites from the books (I am talking mainly about the LOTR, but HP makes too many cuts for the screenplay as well).

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:66164
Started talking to yourself I see.
Yes, it was the only way I could be sure of an intelligent conversation

Blackadder
scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Bookworm wrote: Should a person read a book first and then watch the movie, or should a person watch the movie first and then read the book? I checked out the DVD of Pride and Prejudice from the library and watched it yesterday, and now I'd really like to read the book. There were some scenes where I could tell the characters were thinking things, and I figure the book might tell me what they were thinking. On the other hand, I read the book Anne of Green Gables first before checking out the movie, and while I did like the movie, I noticed where entire characters were missing. The same thing happened after I read To Kill a Mockingbird. I checked out the DVD and really  :lol: noticed when scenes were changed or shortened to fit a two hour time frame. So personally, I like to watch the movie on DVD first and then read the book on which the movie is based.

A and E has a 6 part mini on the movie which is far better than the movie. the movie seems to be a rip off, and doesn't match the tension needed for the love speech
"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.
He goes on to tell her that he loves her despite her lack of wealth or connections to important people. He says that he's tried to ignore his feelings for her because it would be beneath him to marry anyone like her

:lol: lmao, great speach, and boy does he get it

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:66517
flowergirlajg

Post by flowergirlajg »

Usually I would totally say READ FIRST!! But in the case of Pride and Prejadice i would watch the movie first, to get a general grasp of the plot.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3589, old post ID:68428
[insert signature here ]